This eLearning course will help Health and Safety Representatives (HSR) fulfill their responsibilities under the Occupational Health and Safety Act and to be an effective workplace role model through the promotion of health and safety. This course was developed through collaboration between the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development and health and safety partners.
This is a starting point for HSRs to begin their training in health and safety. Contact IHSA for more information about additional training and resources to help you in your role as Health and Safety Representative.
- occupational health and safety law
- rights, duties, and responsibilities of the workplace parties
- duties and responsibilities of the HSR under the OHSA
- common workplace hazards
- hazard recognition, assessment, control, and evaluation (RACE methodology) of hazard controls
- applying the RACE methodology (recognize, assess, control and evaluate) to a workplace hazard
- health and safety resources available to the workplace parties
Did you know?
Learners will have 2 attempts to complete the final test and must achieve a score of at least 80%.
Small Business Health and Safety Training Programs (SBHSTP)
Ontario’s SBHSTP will reimburse eligible small business employers for the health and safety representative training of an appointed HSR in an Ontario workplace. It will cover the cost for the $25 registration fee for the HSR eLearning training course and $150 toward the cost of the representative’s training time, for training completed between July 15, 2021 to March 31, 2024.
To be eligible for the Small Business Health and Safety Training Program reimbursement, small businesses must:
- regularly employ 6 to 19 workers in an Ontario workplace or be required to have a health and safety representative in other circumstances
- have a Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) number
- keep a copy of the HSR training certificate of completion
Learn more about Health and Safety Representatives and the Small Business Health and Safety Training Program.
To apply for the SBHSTP reimbursement, complete this form.
Privacy Notice (for employers/learners/administrators – whoever is registering the HSR for the course)
For the purpose of processing and validating an application for reimbursement under the Small Business Health & Safety Training Program the name of the individual taking the health and safety representative training and their email will be disclosed to the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development.
By proceeding with purchasing or registering for this course, you hereby consent to the collection and processing of information, as applicable, by the Ministry and its third-party service providers for the purposes set out above.
Any questions about the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information for the Small Business Health and Safety Training Program can be directed to Training and Awareness Branch, Prevention Division, Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development by email at PreventionFeedback@ontario.ca or by phone at 1-416-212-9871.
Navigating the eLearning course:
Upon successful completion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Describe the organization and content of the Occupational Health & Safety Act (OHSA) and regulations
- Describe the general duties and responsibilities of workplace parties
- Describe the powers, functions and duties of a health and safety representative (HSR) under the Act
- Identify common workplace health and safety hazards
- Describe the legal requirements of workplace inspections
- Identify the principles for conducting effective workplace inspections
- Describe the legal requirements for investigating accidents by the MOL
- Describe the steps for conducting an effective accident investigation.
By completing/passing this course, you will attain the certificate IHSA Record of Training
Welcome to IHSA's eLearning catalogue. Please review the following notice.
- If you wish to purchase eLearning courses for another individual or multiple individuals in your organization, submit an eLearning Purchase Form to email@example.com.
- The name that will appear on your certificate of completion will be the same as the name of your eLearning account.
A refund can only be issued within 14 days of purchase and for any courses that have not started.
It is recommended to use Google Chrome or Firefox for completing your eLearning courses.
The course is valid for 30 days from the date of purchase.
Visit IHSA's Frequently Asked Questions to learn more about IHSA's eLearning catalogue.
Your cart is empty